Nutritional Content/ Value of Efo Riro (Spinach) Leaves
A cup of raw spinach contains about 7 calories, 1 gm Protein, Fiber and Carbs each.
Spinach is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and minerals Manganese, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, zinc, selenium and Iron.
Nutritional Benefits of Efo Riro Leaves
Reasons to include Spinach in diet
- Spinach acts as Cancer protector against various types of cancers, especially colon, breast and prostate cancers.
- Spinach fights against inflammation and reduces the risks of heart diseases, improving circulation and blood vessel health.
- Rich sources of vitamin A and vitamin C, Spinach helps maintain strong immune system, and fights against bacteria and illnesses.
- Phytoecdysteroids in Spinach increases the glucose (sugar) metabolism and keeps blood sugar levels stable, benefitting diabetics and pre-diabetics.
- Spinach contains carotenoids, as it is rich in Vitamin A and helps promote eye sight by preserving the health of the retina, macula, and cornea.
- An excellent source of bone-building vitamin K, taking spinach in your diet regularly can strengthen and maintain bones and reduce risks of osteoporosis and bone fractures.
- Spinach can help fight UV light damage and reduce skin diseases. It boosts collagen production and new skin cell growth making your skin look supple and younger.
- The phytonutrients in Spinach detoxifies your liver and prevents bacterial overgrowth that occurs in the gut microflora.
- A good source of dietary fiber, Spinach aids in digestive health by preventing constipation or diarrhea and carrying waste and toxins out of the body
Spinach is one of the best sources of magnesium, which plays essential role in more than 300 different bodily functions.
Risks and Precautions of Spinach
Spinach contains oxalic acid, and high intakes of Oxalates can cause kidney stones in few individuals.
People with digestive disorders, leaky gut syndrome should limit their foods content of spinach.