EGUSI SOUP RECIPE
Egusi soup is a very popular Nigerian soup enjoyed by so many and easy to prepare too. It is more common in the southern east part Nigerian than every other side.
1.5 kg Assorted Meat
350g Ground Melon seeds (3 cups) Egusi
2 Small red onions
175ml (11/2 cups) palm oil
4 Scotch bonnet chillies
1 Big head stock fish (soaked & drained)
3 Medium-size dried fish (soaked & drained)
2 Seasoning cubes , crumbled
1 Bunch of pumpkin, leaves & stems finely shredded
4 TBSP Dried prawns (ground)
1 Cup Uziza (cut)
2 TSP Fresh une (locust bean)
1 TSP Salt to taste
Pounded yam to serve
- Blend pepper, prawns, onions together with little water.
- In a large pot, heat the palm oil on a low heat for 1 min, then add chopped onions & locust beans, fry for 2-4 minutes.
- Add blended papper, allow to fry for 2 min. then add ground Melon seeds and allow to curdle for2-3 mins.before you stir brefiefly.
- At this point, add washed meat of preference, dried and stock fish, 700g water, seasonings and salt to taste and allow to cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- All things being equal, add shredded pumpkin and uziza leaves, allow to cook for 3-4 mins. Till the leave wilt, taste and add some extra stock if need be.
- Serve with pounded yam.
Always visit www.grainfieldfoods.com for your hygienic fresh food stuffs.
- Nigerian Soup
- Cuisine – Nigerian Cuisine
- Time – 30 Mins.
- Cook time – 34 Mins
- Total time – 1h. 4 Mins.
- 8 People